Thursday 7 February 2019

Research as mapping to build understanding…

Todays Skype call has really helped me to understand the aims of module two. 

We discussed how our inquiry is not about looking for an answer but instead exploring a topic that we want to know more about - we are on a journey to find out more.

Module two is about learning research design and the different ways to undertake research (planning the journey), in preparation for module three (doing the journey). This way of visualising the course has given me a clear direction for my next module.

We talked about mapping different ways to research and how there are ‘main roads’ that symbolise common research methods such as interviewing and ‘side roads’ that can offer alternative routes. These ‘side roads’ are the areas that I am going to spend time discovering as I aim to look into less explored methods of research.

We spoke about the importance of other peoples perspectives and how reading reviews of articles can offer different opinions. The inquiry is not about collecting data for answers but it is about exploration and analysis.


During our discussions it was mentioned that we should follow the steps of the cycle in our handbook at least three times during module two in order to explore our inquiry topic and stimulate our learning. I have currently started my first cycle and look forward to discovering further questions and discourses during my research.


1 comment:

  1. A great Blog, I am also going to explore the 'side roads' of research methods. I plan to do a blog on them soon. Looking forward to sharing ideas. Charlie S M2 x

    ReplyDelete