Sunday 28 April 2019

Overtraining...

I have been looking further into the issues around overtraining and its impact on dancers. Liederbach (2008) explains that overtraining arises when,

‘…An individual ceases to adapt positively to training stress when it is imposed in a sustained, long-term, and highly intense manner. Dancers are at risk for developing overtraining syndrome. Overtraining syndrome is defined as an unexpected drop in performance that cannot be attributed to illness or injury.’ (Liederbach, 2008, p.11)

This week I decided to reduce the intensity and duration of my regular fitness training due to having an audition at the end of the week. I made this decision in order to ensure that my muscles were not sore and that I was not fatigued ahead of the audition so that I could perform to the best of my ability.
Koutedakis (2000) notes that disproportional increases in either frequency or intensity of physical work, in conjunction with insufficient recovery, may overload the body. He observes that overtraining…
‘…tends to occur in dancers during periods of increased commitments either in class or on stage and in individuals whose daily practices produce an imbalance between physical activity and recovery from it.’ (Koutedakis, 2000, p.122)
It is important that a balance is struck between a fitness programme, dance class, rehearsals, auditions and performances in order for a dancers peak performance to be maintained. 
Next week I will resume my normal training regime and increase the intensity of my exercises to continue to build my strength and endurance. 

References:

Koutedakis, Y. (2000) “Burnout” in Dance. The Physiological Viewpoint. Journal of Dance Medicine and Science4(4), 122 – 127

Liederbach, M (2008), Dance Medicine: Strategies for the Prevention and Care of Injuries to Dancers, Epidemiology of Dance Injuries: Biopsychosocial Considerations in the Management of
Dancer Health.Orthopaedic Section, APTA, Inc. (p.11)




No comments:

Post a Comment