Sunday 14 October 2018

Height verses talent…

I am only 5’2” tall and at the age of 23, I don’t think that I will be experiencing a growth spurt anytime soon unfortunately. My height has played a big part in my professional practice and has on many occasions been the deciding factor from an audition panel. 

In this industry there are certain roles that have very particular specifications. For example, shows such as the Moulin Rouge require a minimum height of 5’9”. Throughout their history, the dancers have always been tall and the style of performance empahsises this with dances such as the Can Can.

During my time spent teaching and choreographing, I understand why heights are important in regards to spacing and structure of a dance. Formations can change how an audience member views a performance greatly. Due to this, I agree that when replacement roles or individual jobs are being advertised, dancers should match their opposite or partner. This being said, I believe that limitations on certain criteria have no justification. 

Throughout periods of my life when I have been auditioning, there has been a very large number that I have been unable to attend, most of which have a minimum height of 5’5”. These have been for a variety of cruise ships, musical theatre and land-based productions where they are looking for a whole new cast.

I attended one audition a few years ago where I was pulled aside at the end of the multiple rounds to be re-measured; I always dread the part where the tape measure is brought out. They discussed in front of me that I was 1 inch too small for the show, 1 inch?!

It is so disheartening after years of training and determination to be told that regardless of your talent, you don’t meet height requirements. Especially as this is a factor that much to my disappointment, I will never be able to change.

Looking into the history of previous dancer requirements, it is encouraging to see that some of these restrictions have lowered. Even from graduating to today, I have noticed a movement in some of the cruise line company’s height minimums. I hope that this is something that continues to develop as our society is changing and dancers no longer have to be the ‘norm’ that people expect. 

1 comment:

  1. HI
    I am a returning student to Module 3 Professional Practice after taking a study interruption.
    I enjoyed this blog and it made me think of my experience when I first started auditioning as an actress. The waiting room would be full of girls who looked like me, same height, age style etc as they were looking for a particular "type" to cast. Its a interesting feeling sitting waiting in a room full of "you's".

    ReplyDelete