Tuesday 19 November 2019

Shifts in emphasis...

During this evenings Skype session with Module three we each gave a short overview of our enquiry and what we have discovered so far. We then had the opportunity to ask questions about areas that we felt weren’t explained in full detail or to give our thoughts around the topic presented. 

Following explaining my inquiry, which explores the relationship between fitness and enhanced dance performance, it was discussed how there has been a clear shift in the emphasis of my research during the process of Module three.

Initially, my research objectives included informing my own professional practice as a dancer who currently undertakes gym-based fitness training regimes. However, through the analysis process, it has become clear that there are a variety of alternative types of fitness training such as aerial training that could enhance my strength and fitness as well as my employability. 

I also aimed to explore the potential of developing a new area of my practice as a fitness trainer for professional dancers. However, my analysis has identified that there is limited market potential for dance specific personal training. Instead, a much larger and growing market are dance-fitness based classes for the general public. 

Shifts are a result of analysis and it is very important to capture the moment my perspective altered by looking back through my reflective journal. We discussed how it is essential not to assume that people know the shift in your inquiry and instead make this element of the process explicit.

Have you noticed any shifts within your research?

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing this.I was unable to make the call as I was teaching. This explains it very well. I am now going to look through my work in order to find my shift. I plan to do a blog about it, once I finish my never ending analysis write up. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your post, as I couldn't make the call that makes everything clearer. At the begging my research question was about the different types of injuries dancers deal with but after my research I found more important for my professional practise as a dance teacher to emphasis on how to prevent injuries. Researching through that I found out that not only obvious things like doing a good warm up can prevent an injury but also fitness, mental health and a good night sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Charlotte, thank you very much for sharing this blog. I do agree, my inquiry has shifted greatly, I think that is part the natural development process an inquiry. Not only have I changed my title but also what I have discovered throughout meant what I have written about has taken different pathways.

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete